Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Wed Feb 14, 2001  3:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] WAS: Teen belter NOW: What is healthy belt?

Greypins@a... wrote:

> barry,
>
> do you think in terms of 'belt' vs. 'sls'? whether or not, how would
> you distinguish the two?

Heavens no. I use mix sounds all the time with my students. I have
done so for 15 years or more. I also use belt when the occasion calls
for it. I have only been teaching belt for 8 or 9 years and it is more
difficult to learn to do well so I only use it when neccessary.

> also, if you are familiar with estill's approach, what exactly does
> tilting the cricoid do? i can figure out all her other stuff but, her
> description of belt made no sense (it was actually in gillyanne kayes book
> that i read of estill's approach).

I have attended an Estill workshop only once (a LONG time ago). Her
approach to belt is a little too mechanical and harsh for my ears. I am
frankly not familiar enough with her work to answer your question.

--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University

emusic.com