Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Tue Feb 13, 2001  10:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Cadenzas and ritards

> Gina, have you heard Schwarzkopf's recording of the
> version of "Voi che sapete" that they found dating
> from Mozart's time?

Thank you, Isabelle, for pointing this out to me. My questions are:
has this been studied and proven to be historically accurate? Is this
music really from that period and is it in Mozart's own hand? Are there
any current texts which I can research which support this practice?
After all, these ornaments are very 'bel canto' sounding and do not have
the simplicity and symmetry of the Classic Period. Perhaps this was one
of those occasions when the composer bowed to the wishes of the Prima
Donna....? The Classic Period was a reaction against the excess of the
Baroque period, right? I have never read or had any of my music history
professors or voice teachers/coaches teach me that ornamenting Mozart
(other than appoggiature) was correct. Thank you again for taking the
time to post the file for the list, and for your message.

Gina

emusic.com