Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Tue Feb 13, 2001  6:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] WAS: Teen belter NOW: What is healthy belt?

Laura Sharp wrote:

> Dear Barry, Randy and Vocalist:
>
> Clearly there is strong difference of opinion from some who teach
> belt/mix/pop, etc. while others of us who do not teach it are very
> interested in hearing what is what. Barry and Randy, and other teachers or
> performers of this repertoire, would you consider posting samples of your
> students' work or your own work, along with what style you consider it, so
> we might get a better understanding of what you're espousing?
>
> I, for one, would be quite grateful.
>
> Best,
>
> Laura Sharp

Good idea Shannon. Unfortunately I am not sure how to go about that on
my system. When I wrote my dissertation on belt I included 18 samples
of the belt voice (some of which were my students and some not) which I
used for analysis and I will try to figure out a way to get those up.
Those listers who remember Gib Wallis (someone who has had both SLS and
belt training and who probably prefers mix over belt) might be able to
find archives of our discussions: we went through a long list of names
of theater and pop artists debating whether they belted or used a heavy
mix. Some were fairly obvious but there were quite a few that we didn't
agree on. Part of the problem is terminology. Many people still hold
to the idea that belt mean "to belt out a song" regardless of style.
Others feel that it is only a pushed up chest voice - and that anything
else is mix. Seth told me once, that he simply took his Italian bel
Canto style which we all teach and then applied contemporary style and
pronunciation to it. He has been very well received because not only is
he a charming and effective teacher, but he was one of the first
classically trained teachers to NOT look down his nose at contemporary
singers and their issues. More power to him. Classical teachers - we
deserve the role we have now in playing catch-up.
Anyway (I digress easily) we are now in the situation where terminology
is being defined and is easily confused. I am glad to see that NATS is
finally on board in a big way. I hope that out of open-minded dialogue
will come a comprehensive way of looking at the entire spectrum of vocal
production and a greater understanding of vocal possibilities.

My apologies to the list for what may have appeared overheated comments.
I have some pent up frustrations in this area.

--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9434 Re: WAS: Teen belter NOW: What is healthy belt? Domisosing@a...   Tue  2/13/2001   3 KB
9448 Re: WAS: Teen belter NOW: What is healthy belt? Greypins@a...   Wed  2/14/2001   2 KB
9452 Re: WAS: Teen belter NOW: What is healthy belt? buzzcen@a...   Wed  2/14/2001   2 KB
9458 Re: WAS: Teen belter NOW: What is healthy belt? Barry Bounous   Wed  2/14/2001   3 KB

emusic.com