Vocalist.org archive

From:  MFoxy9795@a...
MFoxy9795@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 13, 2001  3:54 pm
Subject:  Cadenzas and ritards

In a message dated 02/13/2001 3:55:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
classicalsinger@e... writes:
classicalsinger@e... writes:

<<
Comment: I agree with no ornamentation in Mozart because he wrote it
perfectly, so why change genius? It drives me crazy to hear cadenzas
that Mozart didn't write on fermatas in his arias... aargh!!! Likewise
changing his melody, as sometimes is done, for example "or sai chi
l'onOre" Mozart's melodies are perfect as is and shouldn't be
changed... IMO.

i think we would all agree that Mozart's melodies should not be changed.
with regard to putting a cadenza in where there is a fermata, was that the
convention in Mozart's time? if so, it seems to me perfectly logical to do
it today.

Schubert wrote in any ritards he wanted, and I don't think it's good to
add too many, except at the end of the song, which needs it because we
have become accustomed to it (Die Schone Mullerin; Gretchen am
Spinnrade) Schumann has more flexiblity of tempo (Frauenliebe und
Leben) >>

i think a slight ritard at the end of many of his songs that are strophic is
probably warranted, otherwise it sounds like you are going to go on to a new
verse and then come to an abrupt halt.

merry

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9427 Re: Cadenzas and ritards dorisopran@a...   Tue  2/13/2001   2 KB
9428 Re: Cadenzas and ritards Isabelle Bracamonte   Tue  2/13/2001   3 KB
9431 Re: Cadenzas and ritards thomas mark montgomery   Tue  2/13/2001   2 KB
9432 Re: Cadenzas and ritards Isabelle Bracamonte   Tue  2/13/2001   2 KB
9429 Re: Cadenzas and ritards MFoxy9795@a...   Tue  2/13/2001   2 KB
9440 Re: Cadenzas and ritards Gina   Tue  2/13/2001   3 KB
9442 Re: Cadenzas and ritards Dre de Man   Tue  2/13/2001   3 KB
9469 Re: Cadenzas and ritards Ian Belsey   Thu  2/15/2001   3 KB
9470 Re: Cadenzas and ritards Ian Belsey   Thu  2/15/2001   3 KB

emusic.com