Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Tue Feb 13, 2001  1:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Gundula Janowitz masterclass (finally)

> 4. Always breathe through your nose.

This is simply not practical, regardless of its effects on the voice.

> 5. Open your mouth for all notes, low and high.

I think there are several things one must ponder when attending a master
class of an established singer. One must ask if the master was known more
for her interpretive skills or her technical ones. Was the master able to
achieve in spite of rather than because of certain vocal approaches? Does
the master use what they are espousing? Does the master make the same
sound the student is interested in achieving? Does the master have an
understanding of vocal technique or do they simply know what works for
them? We all enjoy hearing the masters talk about singing and art, but
I'm not always sure that students should base their singing on a couple of
hours of 'teaching'. Having sat in dozens of master classes, there were
only two that I walked away from thinking 'Madame X would have been a
great teacher' (Regina Resnik and Regine Crespin - must be something about
that regal name!)

Mark Montgomery

emusic.com