Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  9:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] vowel quandry

Thanks to mike and sdr, for your suggestions. I think you're probably
advising much the same thing. To my non-N.Am. ears though, that vowel seems
as far from what I want as my own Scottish way of saying 'book' or 'look'
would be! My next step is to check recordings of this scene - something I
hate to do. john

>-Maybe something in the neighborhood of an [U] vowel, as in "book" or
"look" ?

>-If you round your lips more, that might give them more of what they're
>looking for,
>but it will cut off some of your singer's formant.

-Sing with the jaw a bit more closed on that note.
>john,
>
> if your 'fu' is turning into 'fo' and you're losing your singer's
>formant, you might think of cheating it towards an umlaut 'u' (or, you might
>even try that valley girl 'u' some were complaining about last week).
>
>mike

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

sjdr9523@y...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9408 Re: vowel quandry/'covering' sjdr9523@y...   Tue  2/13/2001   3 KB
9423 Re: vowel quandry/'covering' John Alexander Blyth   Tue  2/13/2001   5 KB
9412 Re: vowel quandary Lisa M. Nuske   Tue  2/13/2001   4 KB

emusic.com