Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  6:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Teen belter with scary symptoms

buzzcen@a... wrote:

> > This is actually a good description of 'mix' not belt.
> >

> That's why we don't use the word belt in SLS,

The larynx is
> stable and a lot of what people describe as belting pedagogy (which frankly
> seems like a cataloguing of hyperfunctional habits and codifying them into
> something mistakenly called technique) is absent.
>
> It is not a classical sound as most would describe it yet it is not
> hyperfunctional.

Gee. I guess a doctorate in voice and 20 years teaching experience
don't count for much anymore. I believe I teach a very sound vocal
technique and my students sing in a healthy (non-hyperfunctional)
manner. Perhaps this is an example of the arrogance and
hyper-sensitivity so often displayed by SLS disciples.

--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University

emusic.com