Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  5:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Teen belter with scary symptoms

In a message dated 2/12/01 10:42:21 AM Central Standard Time,
bounousb@i... writes:

> Belting done
> > correctly is not chest taken all way the up, but a longer chest register
> > leading to a mix at bflat4, and a connected head voice at e5. Look into
> > speech level singing it will help you understand what the process is.
> >
> > Randy Buescher
> >

> This is actually a good description of 'mix' not belt.

That's why we don't use the word belt in SLS, yet the singers trained this
way dominated pop music and have a huge presence on Broadway. Obviously the
aesthetic produced is considered appropriate for the genres that use the
production called belt and the singers that sing in this manner are using a
healthier production. I teach two of the most well known gospel singers in
the industry and many would call what the female of this duo does belting,
but it is not, it's a high mix and at times a hard gospel mix. The larynx is
stable and a lot of what people describe as belting pedagogy (which frankly
seems like a cataloguing of hyperfunctional habits and codifying them into
something mistakenly called technique) is absent.

It is not a classical sound as most would describe it yet it is not
hyperfunctional.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com