Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 12, 2001  1:46 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Beta Blockers

In a message dated 02/11/2001 1:23:56 PM Central Standard Time,
ross415@s... writes:
ross415@s... writes:

<< nd sometimes the blasted things just don't work. I had terrible stage
fright for the first time when I had to do Bloody Mary in South Pacific - I
am a mezzo, NOT an alto and the part was simply too low for me to do well. I
was terrified whenever I had to sing, the beta blockers didn't help at all,
as far as I could tell.
By the way, I've done other parts, like Golde in Fiddler on the Roof,
and had a ball, no problem, just fun. So sometimes the beta blockers do no
good. >>

I've had a similar experience but I wonder - how much worse would it have
been if I hadn't taken them?

I find that for me: opera/musical theater = no stage fright;
oratorio/concert work = stage fright. So I need to pursue more of the
former, even though the latter tend to be more lucrative.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com