Vocalist.org archive

From:  sjdr9523@y...
sjdr9523@y...
Date:  Sun Feb 11, 2001  10:22 pm
Subject:  Re: Dynamic control

> In classical singing style it is not acceptable to add breath to the > tone
quality when singing soft. Soft singing should maintain the
> same clear quality as loud singing with only a small reduction in the > vocal
ring due to a reduction of vocal fold amplitude.

I realize it shouldn't be to the point where we would actually call it
a 'breathy' sound but, relatively speaking, isn't the glottal closure
more firm in loud singing than in soft? Therefore, doesn't more breath
pass through the folds in soft singing, possibly giving the singer the
perception of a slightly 'breathier' sound?

Have you ever stood very close to a singer (in rehearsal?) and heard a
slight 'whooshing' sound, but later heard that same singer from a
distance (in the audience?), and found the breath was then inaudible?
What's the deal with that?

-Thanks!

emusic.com