Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Sun Feb 11, 2001  6:43 pm
Subject:  Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice

No, I'm NOT!

But I'm thinking about it. Who knows anything about
what pregnancy does to the female voice? I have heard
that it can darken the voice (a good thing), might
drop the pitch permanantly (not such a good thing),
that you can sing up until delivery, that you have to
stop singing immediately after conception, that the
recovery period is a breeze, that the recovery period
can take up to a year... Any experiences, opinions,
observations?

There was a great article in Classical Singer with the
soprano... Kallen Esperian, I think. She talked about
how having her son totally derailed her voice and
caused her to disappear from the scene for a few
years. On the other hand, I saw a VERY pregnant Mary
Mills (about 6 months) and Natalie Dessay (they said 8
months!) both performing, one at SF and one at the
Met. It worked for Olympia, it was a little more
distracting for Mills' Pamina. :)

Cord thickening, abdominal stretching, hormonal
imbalances? No such thing, just deal with the fatigue
and schedule your vocal workouts accordingly?
Anything to tape to one's forehead during delivery
(like, "If you must C-sect, please cut lengthwise!" or
something to that effect). What's it like, really?

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte
San Francisco, CA
ibracamonte@y...
ibracamonte@y...

9298 Re: Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  2/11/2001   3 KB
9299 Re: Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice Greypins@a...   Sun  2/11/2001   2 KB
9301 Re: Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice dorisopran@a...   Sun  2/11/2001   3 KB
9302 Re: Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice michael.chesebro   Sun  2/11/2001   3 KB
9304 Re: Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice thomas mark montgomery   Sun  2/11/2001   2 KB
9312 Re: Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice Reg Boyle   Mon  2/12/2001   2 KB
9314 Re: Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice Caio Rossi   Mon  2/12/2001   2 KB
9318 Re: Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice Edna Huelsenbeck   Mon  2/12/2001   2 KB
9321 Re: Okay - pregnancy and the singing voice Isabelle Bracamonte   Mon  2/12/2001   2 KB

emusic.com