Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Feb 11, 2001  4:58 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Contorting the face and prostate exam!

In a message dated 2/10/2001 2:00:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
taylor23f@h... writes:
taylor23f@h... writes:

<< And what about Sutherland, Melchoir, Fladstad, Gigli,
Tagliavini, Simionato, Ponselle, Warren- they look like they're
TALKING not singing. >>

taylor,

sutherland has always appeared to me to be having trouble chewing a
caramel (sounds like it too, diction-wise that is), tagliavini looks like he
is nervously awaiting his exam while warren looks like he is enjoying his
exam a little too much. simionato, the great reverse yodler, always appears
to me to be aiming her forehead. i don't recall ever seeing flagstad,
ponselle or gigli but melchior did always appear to be enjoying himself (or
whatever it was he was drinking at the time).

the point that i think is important is to realize that the singer
version of
'guitar-face' has little to do with the singing. it more likely has to do
with anything from mental terror to a mistaken impression of how an
expressive gesture appears to just having no other idea what to do.
adelaide bishop once yelled at a fellow student "don't just do something,
stand there!"

mike

emusic.com