Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Sat Feb 10, 2001  10:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Teen belter with scary symptoms

In a message dated 02/10/2001 7:09:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
buzzcen@a... writes:
buzzcen@a... writes:

<< Concerning acoustic energy, I theorize (because I have no data here) that
this would carry more unamplified than just a yell and that there are opera
singers using this technique or one close to it in the opera world.

I've thought as acoustic energy as the sound that is achieved when the
acoustics of the resonator line up with the fundamentals of the vibrator.
THis is how true "sound" or volume is produced when singers are trained
properly. Spectral analysis would therefore show definite formant peaks and
transitions.
Amplification, or yelling, occurs when a huge amount of air pressure,
produces a huge amount of sub-glottic pressure and the ensuing release is
quite large..............this probably has very few peaks in spectral
analysis and shows up more as noise........
two cents again,
:)
Mary Beth Felker

emusic.com