Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
"DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Sat Feb 10, 2001  7:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Do men belt? (Was scary teen belting)

Chris T. wrote:

>Neil Semer said at last year's NATS musical theater workshop that men do not
belt. Anyone go to this year's workshop? Anyone want to share anything?

I attended this year's workshop; even had the scary opportunity of belting
in front of the entire assembly of 300+ voice teachers! Whew! The question
of whether men belt was left unanswered, I would say. The workshop was con-
ducted on the premise that belting is a female phenomenon, so we did not hear
very many male singers. However, there is certainly a difference of opinion
on this question among NATS teachers. I would say that a lot depends on
how one defines belting in the first place. But it certainly true that men
sing musical theatre repertory in a different way than they sing classical.
There was a desire at the workshop for men to be more a part of things, so
my guess is that the next belt workshop will allow men a larger role.

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

emusic.com