Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
"Jacqueline/Connie" <jaxsobcon@n...>
Date:  Sat Feb 10, 2001  9:32 pm
Subject:  Re: teen belter

Hi Laura:
>From one of your posts it seems we have
a lot in common.
I am one of 3 voice teachers in my city.
One is the classical voice teacher at
our local university and one is a lady
who obtained a music degree locally
but didn't really focus on teaching and
then there's me.
There's a guy at a music store who
puts people in a booth with a karoake
tape and leaves them for a half hour
to go over and over the song, then
listens to them and comments but
that's not voice lessons IMHO.
Many of my students are interested
and pursuing musical theatre but
there are also those training classically
and taking exams.
There were two choir type groups here
that were for kids 8-15 yrs. One group
taught some good technique and
didn't abuse the voices...the other was
not so diligent.
Kids don't speak up if they don't know
they're being damaged...even if it feels bad.
Also, the way some of them wail away to
their pop CD's shows that they don't really
know they're doing anything wrong...it just
feels different than what they do at their
lessons.
I take the teaching of kids and teens very
seriously and am always inquiring as to
their vocal comfort, if you will, when working
on technique or challenging repertoire so as
not to allow them to damage their voices.
I got a Kids Broadway book with accompanying
CD of demonstration vocals of so called prof.
kid singers...well...the one girl sang with a
tight, hard, strained chest voice up to an
almost cracking sound and then switched
into a light, weak, breathy sound on the couple
of high notes. If my students had heard this
prof. kid, would they have tried to imitate her
or gone with my methods? I wonder.
Anyway, this was a recording of kids persuing
prof. musical theatre and the result was
frightening. Just goes to show you...there's
a lot of poor judgement going on out there on
the parts of coaches and parents.
Thank goodness for those who take this
seriously and conscientiously.
I'm sure our city, like yours and many others
could benefit from a sls teacher.
Jacqueline
www.tbmall.com/slightlyoffbroadway
(gifts/costumes/classes & more)
Read my articles at:
www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/musical_theatre)
Have fun at:
www.geocities.com/sloffbrdway
"There's no business like show business"

emusic.com