Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sat Feb 10, 2001  10:31 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Belt Voice and voice pedagogy

In a message dated 2/10/2001 12:38:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
taylor23f@h... writes:
taylor23f@h... writes:

<< If the larynx is raised in the throat, the vocal tract becomes
shortened. Since the "ringing" quality (area of acoustic energy from
2800-3400Hz which gives a voice carrying power) of the voice comes
from the laryngeal area itself, the heightened laryngeal position of
a "belt" quality has some serious implications on the true "ringing"
quality with which we associate a fine classical singer. That being
said, it is clear why nearly every music theater singer performing in
a large venue uses a body mic. >>

as a teacher of non classical singers, i have worked with a number of
students whose larynges raise as they increase pitch, some spread their
vowels some have an instinct for modulating them. i have recently learned
to use gram50 for spectral analysis. in the students i have tested who
exhibit a high larynx, nearly all of them have produced a large amount of
activity in the range of 2500-3500hz. additionally, a number of them
produce activity higher. the activity in this range becomes more variable
as they sing passages that are quiet and in the range of speech (and it does
seem to be consistant with their speech).

i imagine some broadway performers are miked out of necessity however, i
think it is more likely that these performances are miked so that the
performers don't sound like they are 'projecting' all the time (WHAT WAS THAT
ROMEO? I SAID, I LOVE YOU, DAMMIT!!!) film has spoiled everyone.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9272 Re: Belt Voice and "ring"/reply to Mike taylor23f@h...   Sat  2/10/2001   3 KB

emusic.com