Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
"Laura Sharp" <lasharp@n...>
Date:  Fri Feb 9, 2001  8:52 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Teen belter with scary symptoms

First of all, how nice to see a post from Barry. I don't think I've seen
your name since I came back to Vocalist.

Barry wrote: "I would not be so quick to blame the theater group. If your
student is
"bitten" by the performing bug in musical theater then she needs to
either restrict her performing to the classical musical theater
repertoire or - whether she is interested or not - take belt or heavy mix
lessons from a teacher who is qualified to teach those styles. Theater
managers certainly do not want their performers to be injured, but they
don't have access to nerve endings telling them when something hurts -
the singer does. Belt can be done quite safely, but a student should
never expect to just fake it anymore than someone would try to "fake"
opera."

Thank you for taking me to task over placing blame. I'm a bit upset since I
know this group well and Chelsea's won't be the first or last voice trashed
in that program. But of course, she needs to learn when to say no and to
speak up when something hurts. She assures me she does not want to sing in
this style, but she made a choice to acquiesce. And in the real
(professional) world, I suppose, it might be more reasonable for the adults
running a theatre to assume a child is adequately prepared.

That said, I still think this program is habitually remiss in this regard.

I do believe that those who choose to work with children should place the
best interests of the children first. To blatantly over-simplify, should a
circus school ask a child to tight-rope walk in a performance without
spending months or years teaching them HOW to tight-rope walk and watching
to ensure that steps are executed properly? Why is it ok to ask a child to
sing in a particularly difficult or taxing style without ensuring that they
know what they are doing or are receiving guidance and instruction from a
"teacher who is qualified to teach belt or heavy mix"? This is not NY or
L.A.. There is no one in this town qualified to or usually even wanting to
teach these styles. If there is, they sure don't advertise. Do you know
where most legit teachers here send students who want to learn belt? To the
guitar store where a guy who was in a band 20 years ago takes a whack at it.

I maintain that asking children to belt for a long period of time without
taking mighty good care of them is irresponsible and outweighs any benefit.
Especially when it's not in a professional setting, but is instead meant to
be a training opportunity for the students. What would it hurt to stop every
once in a while and ask, "Is anyone in pain? Is anyone sore when we're done
singing?" They take the time to teach them how to dance in different styles,
how to "act", but when it comes to the music, all they teach are the notes.

OK, I'm done ranting for the moment. :=)

Laura Sharp

emusic.com