Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Feb 9, 2001  4:56 pm
Subject:  boys and girls changing voices

Have to hop in with my 2 pennies :-)

There are many boys who never experience a radical change in their voices
during puberty. I know, because I was one of them. If I was encouraged to
give up singing during this time, I would have been mute from age 12-28! :)

Peter Giles, an authority on the training of countertenors, actually
recommends keeping a boy singing (and he's British!) during the change. He
believes focussed use of the changing larynx allows the boy to move more
gracefully through the changes. Specifically for a countertenor, it allows
him to "remember" how to use his "boy" register during the transition.

My speaking voice got lower *very* gradually, and I had my boy soprano
extension until I was 22 or so. An alto voice emerged out of that during
my mid 20s.

Tako

emusic.com