Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Fri Feb 9, 2001  9:09 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] female morphology, weight etc

Dre wrote:

> Be critical and watch tv one evening while thinking how it influences you and
your children, not only the programs but also the commercials, and you'll see
where people are being stimulated to eat continuously and to be thin at the
same time.

Dre, I think you and Judy are _both_ right, if such a thing is possible
when you feel you don't entirely agree with her. And thinking about your
remarks that we are being encouraged both to eat a lot _and_ be slim, I
wonder if there could be another reason for many women to be thin: they
feel they must be sending out a message that they have more self-control
than the plump woman standing next to them, who has been weak and has
succumbed. It's a feeling of being strong and successful rather than an
aesthetically ideal shape. I've seen one or two of these women who I
felt radiated smugness.

As for the clothes thing: when is someone going to design clothes for a
larger shape which don't seek to flatter by making you look thinner, but
rather by making a skinny person wish they could be a bit fatter so they
too could look good clothes like those?

Just my 2p

Linda

emusic.com