Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Marcia McCarry" <mardean@m...>
"Marcia McCarry" <mardean@m...>
Date:  Thu Feb 8, 2001  7:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: boys changing voices

A lot depends on how comfortable the boy is while the voice does a few
unusual gymnastics. If he is used to singing, he might not be very
bothered. I have had students who preferred to drop out for a while when
the voice starts changing. It can take 6 mo. to a year sometimes, but they
usually come right back and show interest in exploring a new and wonderful
range of sounds. I work with young students all the time, and young boys
who sing soprano may turn out to be baritones.

I once taught a boy who was still singing the lead role in "Amahl and the
Night Visitors" when he was 14, so I think your boy is safe singing. He
will let you know when he can't reach the highs anymore, so just be
encouraging to him and let him know that whatever he is feeling is very
temporary.

Musically Yours,

Marcia McCarry

Subject: [vocalist] Re: boys changing voices

> Hi:
> I have a question for the learned
> pedagogues on the list (especially
> those who work with kids).

> now a lovely tenor.
> What are your thoughts on this controversial
> subject?
> Jacqueline
> (who has a boy student who will soon be
> at a voice change stage...he's 14 and still
> a treble singer).

emusic.com