Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
"Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Thu Feb 8, 2001  3:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Weight Control- anecdote no peer review

Dear Gina and list:

As I've skimmed the messages on weight loss I sometimes get more than a
whiff of zealotry or even proselytizing. With regard to science and
health I think we need to be more cautious in our writing and our
acceptance and/or endorsement of what we read. Believe me when I say
that I'm happy for any of us who win the weight battle, or even a skirmish.
I fight the battle daily and have lost 30 of the 60 pounds I must lose.

In Gina's message below she refers to "Actual case studies which are
documented in Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution." Keep in mind that these
'case studies' are nothing more than anecdotal evidence. None of this
evidence has been subjected to peer review. Most importantly, the man
is selling a book. Repeat: The man is selling a book.

The jury is out on this diet. The FDA is out,(although it is going to study
the
Atkins diet), bariatricians and registered dieticians are confused. With
all
this confusion how can anyone say "I am sure that the rapid fat loss is due
to the"metabolic advantage" I described earlier." The answer is that we
shouldn't. We can't be "sure."

I'm sure I'll get some flak or possibly a hint of flame for what I've said
but wouldn't it be easier and less inflammatory to tell folks that "the diet
works for me" or "check out the book" rather than to say, as fact, something
that can't be verified. The reading I've done has led me to make certain
decisions. I don't choose to subject my liver to a high fat diet or my
colon
to a low carb/low fiber diet. I made the choice to keep a balanced approach
nutrition and dieting. (Yeah Reg.) I've made a choice to distrust a diet
written
to sell books.

If you think I'm over-reacting, apologies. I think a bit more critical
thinking is in
order for most Americans and this sometimes causes me to weigh in when I
might be better off keeping my mouth shut.

Skeptically yours,
Cindy Donnell
.

>While I respect you and your opinion, Mike, I must disagree on one small
point. Actual case studies which are documented in Dr. Atkins New Diet
Revolution have shown significant fat loss, measured by the submersion
technique. snip.

Dr. Atkins has treated over 25,000 people at the Atkins Center for
Complementary Medicine, and has gathered substantial data from his
patients there. I am sure that the rapid fat loss is due to the
"metabolic advantage" I described earlier. Gina.>

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9172 Re: Weight Control- anecdote no peer review MFoxy9795@a...   Thu  2/8/2001   2 KB

emusic.com