Vocalist.org archive

From:  Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Gina <classicalsinger@e...>
Date:  Thu Feb 8, 2001  12:13 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Weight Control

Reg,

In his casework with his patients at the Atkins Center for Complementary
Medicine in Manhattan, Dr. Atkins noticed that many of his patients
displayed a "metabolic advantage." This means that on a low
carbohydrate diet, you can actually consume more calories than you would
on any other diet and still lose weight. The participants in Dr.
Atkins' studies were actually measured for body fat loss by being dipped
in the water tank. The weight lost was indeed body fat. Many people on
this diet lose 50, 60, 80 or 100 pounds and many clothing sizes. This
cannot be all water loss... simply impossible.
Part of what occurs is that protein takes more energy to break down into
usable body fuel than it actually provides. I don't have the numbers
right here before me, but it's in his book, the New Diet Revolution.
The protein and fat are used up and you access your own body fat, and
ketones are produced as a byproduct. These ketones are excreted in your
breath and urine. When you go off of your low carb diet, do not
suddenly go back to your old way of eating... simply carefully begin
adding in more and more veggies and fruits and good things like a potato
once or twice a week but stay off the sugar. Notice how much carb you
can add in before you begin to gain again. You can cut it back to the
point where you are maintaining, not gaining or losing.
There is an article I recently saw which may of be of interest...
http://www.healthwell.com/delicious-online/d_backs/jan_01/syndrome.cfm

I don't know if you are supplementing your diet, but be sure to include
a multivitamin, because all dieters need a vitamin.

By the way I am still on this eating plan and my old audition dresses
are now beginning to fit and I have bought jeans in my old size. :-) I
felt good about myself on my last audition.

Gina

Reg Boyle wrote:

> > > With healthy nutrition and exercise your muscles grow and the fat
> goes
> > away.
> > >
> > > PJ.
> >
> >Just an aside... As you a get closer to your desired size, you might
> be
> >better to measure your success with a tape measure rather than the
> >bathroom scales,
> >because muscle is denser than fat, so that your toned body might well
>
> >weigh more than an untoned body of the same size.
> >
> >Helen Duggan
> >qed@n...
>
> Thank you Helen, PJ and Mark, I have also been monitoring that, but
> of course just doing my vocal exercises keeps me intimately in contact
>
> with it also.
> Fortunately I own a stepper and have begun using it
> regularly.
> I actually feel very well and am on my 28th day having gone
> from 108kg+ to 101kg this morning. I'm still a little confused about
> where
> this fat "goes"? It's not like the body to just dispense with energy
> that
> has been so diligently stored. (That's 15lbs.)
> This programme does stress the need for exercise but in the
> early
> stages that is quite difficult.
> Mark that site you mentioned was quite helpful. It confirmed
> for
> me that my ideal weight was between 72 and 90kg. My goal has always
> been 90kg with anything less probably too low for my frame.

emusic.com