Vocalist.org archive

From:  <etreen@e...>
<etreen@e...>
Date:  Wed Feb 7, 2001  3:41 pm
Subject:  Fitness

>Or, another tack: How do singers with careers remain
>fit, or at least avoid sliding into out-of-shape?

Pilates!!!
Pilate matwork to be precise.
This has to be the best thing I have ever done for myself. It's improved my
breathing and my 'support' no end and I have the tightest butt I've ever had.
And all this without getting hideously sweaty, having to listen to raucous
music while I exercise or exercise for hours.
I have a program that takes about 20 mins which works on rib expansion
("breathing into the thoracic cavity"), strengthening the deep abdominals
(transverses abdominus) and *relaxing* all the unnecessary tension I carry in
my body.
I can now get through an all day opera rehearsal without feeling achy and
absolutely physically drained by the end and I also don't have to keep
reminding myself about supporting my voice as I sing through the same chorus
for the 5th time - it's become automatic.

I wholeheartedly recommend it, not least because you don't need loads of fancy
equipment and stuff, you can do it wherever - I have a tape that my teacher
recorded for me and I do it anywhere (as it were...:)

Emily

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
9159 Re: Fitness Gina   Wed  2/7/2001   2 KB

emusic.com