Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Date:  Tue Feb 6, 2001  3:30 pm
Subject:  RE: Re: [vocalist] great opera & lieder singer's web site

----Original Message-----
>From: John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
>Subject: Re: [vocalist] great opera & lieder singer's web
site
>Date: Tuesday, February 06, 2001 9:05 AM
>
>Thanks, Ernie - this is the most astonishingly rich website of a
collector
>of old operas recordings, including some (perfectly legal, I hasten to
>add) MP3s.
>The URL needs a colon, i.e.
> http://www.cantabile-subito.de

John, thanks for pointing out the missed "colon"...that missed little
item could stop up the works...um...anyway, good pickup!

Naturally, I went directly to the Baritones & Bass-Baritones &
enjoyed the selections particularly of the Romanian Baritone
Nicolae Herlea - his "live from a Met" performance of Roderigo de Posa's
"O Carlo ascolta" was seamless & unforced (although I don't know if it
will surpass Mike's Fiescher-Dieskau setting!). And the Theodore Uppman
selection from Billy Budd was heartwrenching as the young man knows
what's to become of him in the morning.

I think many people on this list will find answers to their questions
regarding voices that possess more "squillo" than others & also
comparisons in how one singer interprets an aria as opposed
to another.

The other classification tools & teacher listings are a help to the student
of singing searching for that extra link to musical history.

Happy listening (&reading) to all!

EV

emusic.com