Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Feb 6, 2001  12:52 am
Subject:  Re: Weight Control

sopran@a... wrote:
> PS--My personal experience has been that most men prefer women who
> are at least somewhat voluptous (Marilyn Monroe as opposed to say,
> Callista Flockhart). It's off topic, but I'd be interested to
> know what the men on this list think.

I'm going to try to be honest and skip the PC line here... My eyes and
body have different reactions to women of different sizes. My eyes
tend to prefer thinner (maybe 5lb below average for the US), while my
hands and mouth prefer heavier. This disturbs me, since this probably
means my mental visual ideal has been skewed by the media. My guess is
that my sense of touch is a better gauge of what actually works for
me.

Men may react to thin women they see on TV - the visual image is all
they have to go on, and there's a lot of cultural baggage built in
there. Who men stay with - who they find actually sexy is another
story. There is a woman's scent, taste, feel, and oh yeah, earning
potential and personality too :-)

Thankfully, I've been staying away from Cosmo and have been surrounded
by lots of pregnant and post-partum women lately. Slowly, my eyes are
beginning to reconfigure. I pray I'll be able to clear out all the
media-created crap in my head before my daughter comes of age.

Oh, and I think evolutionarily favorable physique theory is a crock,
at least for me. More than anything, I'm drawn to people who are
comfortable with themselves whatever they may look like, because a
strong sense of self will get them a lot further in our world than
physique would. A strong sense of self also tends to discourage
self-destructive behavior, whether it be overeating, throwing up or
starvation.

Tako

emusic.com