Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
"John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Mon Feb 5, 2001  3:24 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] reflux, overweight and hiatus hernia

Weight loss (if overweight) reduces the pressure on the abdomen of the
midsection fat. Thus less pushing of stomach contents up the esophagus.

If you have the "normal" gynecoid extra fat (thighs and buttocks) it may not
help as much.

Breathing pressure probably does not do anything to cause a hiatal hernia.
I do not know of studies (although they may be there). Hiatal hernias are a
"normal" process of aging. Reflux also is "normal" physiology until it is
so common that the esophagus is injured or other symptoms develop.

John

John J. Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine
Penn State College of Medicine