Vocalist.org archive

From:  emmashapplinrules@h...
emmashapplinrules@h...
Date:  Sat Feb 3, 2001  12:48 am
Subject:  Re: Questions?

This person was also telling me Celine was a dramatic soprano
because of her lower soprano voice and Lara Fabian was a lyric
soprano. To me their "color" of their voice sounds the same. Isn't
dramatic soprano voices have that dark timbre? Thanks a lot for the
info. It's really helping a lot.

Renee

> I can see where someone with little opera-going experience might
use the term "dramatic"
> to refer to Celine Dion - I think someone like that might be using
the term because of the
> feeling of drama they get from her singing - that terrific
intensity she has - rather than
> what we who know opera think of - the sopranos who sing roles like
Brunhilde or Isolde,
> etc.
>
> Peggy
>
> --
> Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA
> "Music for a While Shall All Your Cares Beguile"
> mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com