Vocalist.org archive

From:  Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Peter Louis van Dijk <plvdijk@i...>
Date:  Fri Feb 2, 2001  5:48 pm
Subject:  It's not Reflux!!

Dear Vocalisters!

I shared earlier how my ENT had diagnosed reflux because my vocal cords were
inflamed, had tiny nodules and I started the morning sounding like a bass.
(I'm a soprano.) I also have constant phlegm. I "taste" salt and not acid,
but who am I to contradict his findings.

I got put onto expensive medication for two months, which did not really
seem to help. I also have pain which feels very much like a duodenal
ulcer.He suggested I have a gastroscopy.He also wanted me to run around with
a tube in my nose to measure acidity. This would have been on the day that
my husband was conducting the Symphony Orchestra, so I did not want to start
a new fashion for Conductor/composer wives!!

I needed to see my GP, who suggested an alternate, less invasive route.

I have just had a barium meal (yummy) and a blood test. Well, there is no
reflux, no ulcer and no hernia.

So now what?

My cords are still inflamed and I still have phlegm.

Could my Irritable Bowel and allergies have something to do with it? The ENT
could not see sinusitis as being a huge problem.

Should I be steaming to try to help the inflammation?

I'm very glad that I do not have to have a hernia op, but now I am back to
where I started.

Any suggestions? (You can mail me privately if you feel the topic has been
exhausted on the list, but I really feel very frustrated)

Regards

Susi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8989 Re: It's not Reflux!! John Messmer, M.D.   Fri  2/2/2001   4 KB
9007 Re: It's not Reflux!! Peter Louis van Dijk   Sat  2/3/2001   3 KB
9014 Re: Weight Control thomas mark montgomery   Sat  2/3/2001   3 KB
9015 Re: It's not Reflux!! John Messmer, M.D.   Sat  2/3/2001   2 KB

emusic.com