Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Feb 2, 2001  4:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] PED--The upper break

In a message dated 2/2/2001 8:16:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gwyee@r... writes:

<< He would have to
place the tessitura right on the break! Are there specific exercises that
people use to strengthen and coordinate/train the appropriate muscles to
make this experience more secure and "automatic"? Should I just keep
sirening? >>

gwendel,

instead of just sirening, you may want to add staccato exercises as
well. i like using the syllable 'bip', myself. the benefits of staccato
exercises, from my experience, is that it helps to keep the sound from
spreading. it's hard to spread a staccato 'bip' and when returning to
legato singing, it becomes obvious by contrast how spread one's singing has
been. staccato singing also helps to seperate the 'meat from the motion'.
that is, the exercise really points out how seperate the feeling of producing
sound is from the sound itself.

mike

emusic.com