Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Thu Feb 1, 2001  4:34 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] PED--The upper break

gwyee@r... writes:

> For me, it seemed I had to tilt my larynx forward and to modify the vowel to
> a brighter more forward sound. Paradoxically, it feels a little like the
> first half of a swallowing motion. Not sure if this makes sense. It seems
> the converse of what I had thought one was supposed to do. So I was
> wondering what experience(s) other singers have had; and what the Pedagogues
> think. What exercises can one do to ensure that the upper break transition
> remains smooth seamless under any conditions? Thanks for reading this and
> sorry if it's an old topic, but I can't seem to access the old Vocalist
> archives anymore.

The vowel modification part you discussed (more forward) is something you
correctly stumbled upon. The vowels modify in the first bridge by going
toward a neighboring vowel on the narrower side. For example, /e/ goes
towards /i/, resulting in an /e/ that sounds similar to fonzy on Happy Days
when he would say, "eeeee."

However, the swallowing action you speak of sounds like you are raising your
larynx to assist the adduction and posturing of the folds. This is not good
and is hyperfunctional. It sounds as if your teacher is good at pointing
things out but not remedying them. Maybe you should look elsewhere, if his
suggestions keep failing to help.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com