Vocalist.org archive

From:  mikebarb@n...
mikebarb@n...
Date:  Wed Jan 31, 2001  3:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] What to call myself

Karen Mercedes wrote:

> There are only two singers I can think of who actually call themselves
> this: Ewa Podles and Nathalie Stutzmann - the former is a lyric-coloratura
> contralto, the latter is mainly a recitalist, though she does sing some
> opera. No-one else seems willing to take the risk of using this rare (and
> possibly outmoded) label.

My aunt (of Delos Records) has been making recordings with a Russian
orchestra, and she has also has signed a
Russian contralto. I was supposed to hear her last week in West Palm Beach
but I got the flu instead, so I all I
have is informal, third-hand info. However I have a strong impression that
the rarity of being a contralto did
help this singer with Delos anyway. Rarity is a useful marketing tool for a
recording company. However, the main reason
that my aunt is is interested in her is the Russian lady's (wish I knew the
name) spetacular singing. My understanding is
that she has a a wonderful coloratura ability with a solid 3 octave
range--pretty high too, a D? I beleive that is what my
father told me. I will try to find out more about this singer.

I don't know if saying one is a contralto limits the roles that one can get
in the U.S., so I am not making any suggestions, but
thought you may be interested.

May be you should adopt a Russian stage name. ; -)

Barbara Roberts
mikebarb@n...
mikebarb@n...

emusic.com