Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  10:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia

And there is the crux: so many gifted brilliant people have soprano voices
that the chances of a Lucia being a dunce are rather small, whereas the
true tenor is such a rare beast that we will often put up with dull ones or
rather straightforward ones for the sake of the instrument. That was cruel,
wasn't it? john

At 09:49 PM 1/30/01 +0000, you wrote:
>I've also heard it put the other way around...that Lucia is a role
>sopranos love, but really secretly hate because after the mad scene,
>the tenor has the last 10 minutes of the opera all to himself, and
>can steal the show if he so desires... ;)
>
>John

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada