Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <bmoc_unt@y...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <bmoc_unt@y...>
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  1:08 pm
Subject:  Re: Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., >
> My first posting to the list, despite having been reading (and
enjoying)
> quietly for about a week.
> So what I'd really like to know is: how does the part of Edgardo
measure up
> to the other tenor leads in my very limited frame of reference, in
terms of
> drama, amount of work involved, tessitura, and so on?

It will lie quite a bit higher than the other roles you mention. He
doesn't really spend that much time on stage. If memory serves he has:

ACT I: Duet with Lucia (long)
ACT II: Sextet (that's it!)
ACT III: Big aria/scene

There is a duet with Edgardo that is almost ALWAYS cut.

> Question 2: Suggestions of the best currently available Lucia CD
recording to
> buy?

I like the Pavarotti, Sutherland, Milnes. I'm sure there are more
recent recordings.

> Question 3: My other query relates to a friend who is a bass.
Having sung
> only the famed sextet from Lucia, and that a few years ago, my
recollection
> is that the role for a true bass in Lucia is that of Bidebent. Am I
correct
> in this? He wants to know what part to work on prior to auditions.

Yes. The Italian name is "Raimondo" ("Bide-the-bent" is from the
original "Bride of Lamermoor.") He does have an aria of sorts, (it's
in the Adler anthology) "Dalle stanze ove Lucia." I have NEVER heard
a bass use it for auditions, though.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8925 Re: Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia Karen Mercedes   Tue  1/30/2001   3 KB

emusic.com