Vocalist.org archive

From:  nicktenor@a...
nicktenor@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  8:24 am
Subject:  Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia

Hi folks.

My first posting to the list, despite having been reading (and enjoying)
quietly for about a week.

To introduce myself as briefly as possible.... I'm a 32 year old tenor, based
in the UK, doing mainly Oratorios and Concert work, and the occasional Opera.
(This said, I've just finished my first ever run in a musical, realising a
long-held ambition to play the eponymous hero in Romberg's "The Student
Prince" with Present Company. Almost certainly a one-off - it's the only
musical I ever wanted to do).

The direction and momentum my career currently has is likely to see me doing
less Opera and more Oratorio in the forthcoming 18 months, but I do have one
more opera planned before my teacher and I plan my assault on the very top UK
gigs: I've been offered the part of Edgardo in a production of Donizetti's
"Lucia Di Lammermoor" which goes on in late August, and this seemed like the
perfect opportunity to appeal to the collective wisdom I've been observing
over the past week or so.

To my queries: my opera experience is not particularly wide (I've never
pushed myself or done any opera company auditioning, as the life of a
professional opera singer has never appealed to me - I like my home life far
too much!) My roles to date: Alfredo in Traviata in January 1999, Messanger
in Aida, May 1999 and Cavaradossi in Tosca, August 2000

So what I'd really like to know is: how does the part of Edgardo measure up
to the other tenor leads in my very limited frame of reference, in terms of
drama, amount of work involved, tessitura, and so on?

Question 2: Suggestions of the best currently available Lucia CD recording to
buy?

Question 3: My other query relates to a friend who is a bass. Having sung
only the famed sextet from Lucia, and that a few years ago, my recollection
is that the role for a true bass in Lucia is that of Bidebent. Am I correct
in this? He wants to know what part to work on prior to auditions.

Many thanks in advance for all help, advice and guidance. Please forgive me
for the rambling nature of this posting, but it's fairly early in the morning!

Cheers,

Nicktenor.

sjdr9523@y...Mezzoid@a...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8911 Re: Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia Jeffrey Snider   Tue  1/30/2001   3 KB
8925 Re: Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia Karen Mercedes   Tue  1/30/2001   3 KB
8914 Re: Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia John Alexander Blyth   Tue  1/30/2001   2 KB
8928 Re: Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia sjdr9523@y...   Tue  1/30/2001   2 KB
8930 Re: Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia John Alexander Blyth   Tue  1/30/2001   3 KB
8924 Re: Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia Karen Mercedes   Tue  1/30/2001   3 KB
8938 Re: Hello list, and advice sought re: Lucia Mezzoid@a...   Wed  1/31/2001   3 KB

emusic.com