Vocalist.org archive

From:  "M.J. Ruhl" <mjruhl@s...>
"M.J. Ruhl" <mjruhl@s...>
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  4:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] What to call myself

Karen,

The difference between mezzo and contralto seems to be timbre. If your
voice will allow you to adjust the timbre, you should be able to go in
either direction. Then, I suppose it depends on what you prefer singing,
and what roles you're targeting during your audition.

Granted, one becomes pegged in certain ways, but, until word gets around,
you should have some flexibility in your choice of label. Recently you
mentioned to me that you wanted to sing a particular soprano aria--not
that you'd be likely to call yourself a soprano, but that, to me,
indicates your range.

The person here in Washington I always think of as a "true" contralto,
whom you may know, is Beverly Benso, with rich, dark tones. However, I
attended a recent concert where she was singing much higher and brighter
than I've heard in the past.

Good luck, no matter what your pursuits!

Mary Jane Ruhl
Alexandria, VA

emusic.com