Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen <kjensen@c...>
Karen <kjensen@c...>
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  4:36 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] What to call myself

>Interesting question from my voice teacher the other day. She asked me
>what I called myself when I did auditions, competitions, etc. At first, I
>thought she meant my name - but what she meant is what voice category I
>listed myself as.
>I say interesting, because when I told her I called myself a mezzo-soprano
>(or, when I needed to be more specific, a dramatic mezzo), her response
>was that if it weren't for Marilyn Horne, she would argue with me: she
>thinks I have all the earmarks of a true contralto
Though I agree that ultimately it doesn't matter what label you
use, and that your voice is a unique instrument, your question is a
legitimate one with respect to marketing. The term "contralto" creates
expectations of a darker sound than the term "mezzo-soprano" for an
auditioning panel looking to cast a specific role, and it might raise
questions BEFORE you sang. Afterward, the it wouldn't matter, since they
would base their judgement on your sound--the house may even suggest how
you should be billed. I say use whatever label you think they want to hear,
if you think you can handle the role. For concert work, unusual labels can
be intriguing, and a good marketing strategy. What about "Dramatic
Contralto"? That might connote a contralto with extended range. The label
may even change the way people hear you. Keep asking the questions, and
you'll create just the right niche in the market for yourself.
Best wishes, Karen Jensen,
(Jensalto--Jensano?)

emusic.com