Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  3:51 am
Subject:  Re: What to call myself

Dear Vocalisters:

Here is another view, for what it is worth. I would never call Marilyn
Horne a contralto. The voice has a much too bright, nasal quality in its
low register to meet the criteria of a rich, deep contralto.

I would be more inclined to call Christa Ludwig a contralto but she sings
roles that cross many boundaries

C. Bartolli is clearly a high mezzo at best and could have been trained as a
soprano. Contralto, never. She was wise to enter the professional world
as a mezzo because the soprano field is so badly overcrowded.

There is a tradition of great contraltos in England but few names come to
mind in the modern international scene.

The contralto voice is not blessed with many roles and usually must find
literature in the art song area with transpositions to emphasize its
special rich qualities. I am not surprised that few female singers wish to
assume this mantel and would prefer to stay in the mezzo ranks to have more
performing opportunities. And they provide a very welcome quality to the
mezzo genre.

Regards
--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Vocal Pedagogy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8909 Re: What to call myself thomas mark montgomery   Tue  1/30/2001   4 KB

emusic.com