Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue Jan 30, 2001  1:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Verdi

>From: thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
What are your favorite Verdi moments? For me,
>my favorite Verdi will always be the Philip-Grand Inquisitor scene from
>Don Carlo, with the Trovatore Leonora music a close second. Let's
>celebrate!

Can't pick just one. But I'm convinced that the Four Sacred Pieces are the
most exquisite music ever made by human hands. I sat in my grandmother's
orchestra pit seat for Riccardo Muti's concert performance of "Nabucco" with
the Philadelphia Orchestra, and was all teary by the end of "Va, pensiero."
(Don't tell anyone, but I bootlegged the broadcast.) And I dearly love
"Rigoletto," the rare opera which is as powerful in the *drama* as it is in
the music.

Elizabeth Finkler
California: If it ain't one thing, it's another.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

"An enemy can partially ruin a man, but it takes a well-meaning and
injudicious friend to really finish the job and make it perfect." --Mark
Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson"