Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon Jan 29, 2001  10:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re:Verdi, a personal view

mike,
That's it! Sport is something I would rather do than watch. I like to run,
but I have no interest in the running of others, with the exception of the
vicarious pleasure I get from the writers in Runner's World. In general the
works of which I have multiple recordings tend to be symphonic repertoire -
the only opera I have more than one recording of is Parsifal, which is
practically a symphony anyway. john

At 01:40 PM 1/29/01 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 1/29/2001 12:48:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>BLYTHE@B... writes:
>
><< Having said that, I've often had a problem
> with Verdi, with his calculated thetricalisms, oompahpah accompaniments and
> overt moralising. >>
>
>john,
>
> i have to say, these are some of the things that i have always liked
>about verdi. he is the only operatic composer whose output could double as
>a sporting event. 'di quella pira', as far as i'm concerned, should be
>introduced as a medal event at the next summer olympics. about twenty
years
>ago, some radio station in boston (probably wcrb) played eight or nine
>different recordings of the aria in a row and it really was like witnessing
>an athletic competition. i have a two record set of twenty-eight
>performances of the 'dream' aria from manon (the latest recording being
>bjoerling's from 1935). listening to it just doesn't have the same feel.
>viva verdi!
>
>mike

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico