Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Vale [^_^]" <valevanni@m...>
"Vale [^_^]" <valevanni@m...>
Date:  Mon Jan 29, 2001  4:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: diction (e and o)

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 23:43:46
sjdr9523 wrote:
>>It seems best to me to generally pronounce the unstressed syllables
>closed, because opening the vowel will usually increase the volume >of the
syllable, all other factors being equal, thereby accenting >that syllable. (my
e's are stressed out enough as it is! :)
Interesting point. It seems that the Italian rule "unstressed=close" is not
casual. There has to be only one stressed syllable, if we open all we stress
all!
Poor stressed syllable! Drowned between the others! ;-)

>I've heard there is one Italian dictionary with full IPA, every
>syllable. Anybody know what it's called?
cut & paste from previous message:
I've heard (I did not seen with my eyes, I don't guarantee!) that there are
"Zingarelli 11th or 12th Edition" and "DiPI Zanichelli".
Online you can find http://wordreference.com/it/: perhaps it's not complete as
a paper dictionary, but I think it's standard Italian about unstressed vowels.

>My voice teacher seems to request an overly closed e and an open o,
>more so than is desirable to my ear. We only really vocalize using
>these vowels. He is very well respected, but I know his performing
>career was mostly in Germany, so I wonder if this influenced his
>pronunciation of Italian? He calls the too-open E vowel and >southern

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at
http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html

emusic.com