Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
"David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Sun Jan 28, 2001  2:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] adduction questions

Mike,

As I understand it, the lateral cricoarytenoids connect with the arytenoid
cartilage on the opposite side of the vocal processes (where the vocal folds
meet the arytenoids) and swivel the arytenoids together there. This leaves
a triangular shaped gap that particularly affects jr. high girls (and their
teachers, I might add!). This gap is closed by the interarytenoids
(transverse and oblique arytenoids), hence the reason why the adduction is
not complete with the lateral cricoarytenoids alone. Here is a link and a
picture that I hope will help. The picture is taken from Barbara Doscher's
"Functional Unity of the Singing Voice." I have placed it in the file
section of the website, since I am not sure that we are supposed to send
attachments. Here is the link to the website, and to the picture:

http://www.lumen.luc.edu/lumen/MedEd/GrossAnatomy/dissector/mml/lcri.htm

Sorry that the picture is so huge. I am not good at scanning, and can't
seem to make it any smaller.

Hope I got that right!

David Grogan
ETBU Music