Vocalist.org archive

From:  snide76258@a...
snide76258@a...
Date:  Fri Jan 26, 2001  3:43 am
Subject:  Re: singing at own wedding?

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, Stephanie Franklin
<smf78@i...> wrote:

> >Hi everyone
>
> First of all I want to say that I have really enjoyed all the
discussions.
> (i don't post a lot, mainly lurk)
> However I do have a question.
> Recently I got engaged and am due to be married soon.
> I am planning to write a song about our love for each other for the
> wedding, and I was wonding if it was a good idea for me to sing, or
to get
> someone else to do it.
> I would love to do it, but also I know it will be a very stressful
time.
> any idea on this?
> also, what music do people have at a wedding?

Several people asked me if I was going to sing at my wedding, and I
had never thought about it! I chose not to, because I didn't want my
wedding to turn into a performance for me. I know people do it, but I
can't see how someone could focus on singing with so many other
things going on.

Of course, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of things that can
be sung at weddings. A good music store should have an entire section
of wedding music for both keyboard and voice. If you are having a
church wedding, you need to find out their policy regarding secular
(non-religious) music. Some allow it with no problem. Some want to be
sure it isn't overtly sexual, or otherwise inappropriate. Still
others allow secular music only before the service proper begins, and
a few prohibit secular music altogether. I believe in some
denominations solos are frowned upon entirely.

Good luck, and congratulations!

-Jeff Snider

emusic.com