Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Jan 25, 2001  5:30 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] New Girl

In a message dated 01/25/2001 8:57:13 AM Central Standard Time,
mer555@y... writes:
mer555@y... writes:

<< By the way, I am a freshman soprano at Lawrence University. Although I
thought that I knew what I was going to do with my life when I decided to
major in vocal performance, now I have some doubts. It would be really great
if someone could help me with these questions that have been circling in my
mind. >>

I was just in Appleton this weekend with Milwaukee Choral Artists for the
Wis. Choral Directors Assn. convention -- what a nice area and a nice campus
you have there. I worked with your drama director, Tim Troy, in a production
of Hansel & Gretel here in Milwaukee. I have a former student there who is a
sophomore now - do you know Kami Jo? Who are you studying with?

Now to your questions:

1. If I don't show that I am exceptional in College, what are my chances of
success in a musical career?

Everyone takes time to develop. Some are amazing right out of the gate,
others take some time. Define what you mean by a musical career at this
point in time and be prepared to amend your definition as life changes for
you. As a freshman, you've only been working with your current teacher since
September -- it's hard to predict at this point what you're going to be like
in the next 4 years.

<<2. If I do, what are my chances?>>

Hard to say. It ain't easy. Sorry, that's the best I can say.

<< 4. What are the signs that show I'm making enough progress to continue to
pursue a career in singing?>>

Develop a good relationship with your teacher and coach and trust their
opinions; for yourself, when you can trust what will come out enough that you
can find deeper layers in your performance that you can take risks. Tape
yourself and listen. Listen to yourself at the end of this year and go back
and listen to your early lessons.

<< 3. At what point should I give up? >>

Again, this involves your definition of what a musical career is. I think
you shouldn't even plan for "When should I give up?" I think that sets up an
"out" for you.

My ex-husband once told me, "If you are still singing chorus by the time you
are 28, I think we should start having children." Dang if I didn't get 3
roles right before my 28th birthday. Then when I turned 30, he said, "If by
next year, you haven't sung a small role with a big company or a big role
with a small company, we should have a child." Dang if I didn't do Countess
Ceprano in RIGOLETTO with Washington Opera (small role/big co.) and Smeton in
ANNA BOLENA with Summer Opera Theater of Washington (big role/small co.) the
following spring/summer. Boy, what you'll do when you're given an ultimatum!!

I think if you get to the point where you are bitter because you're in the
chorus and aren't enjoying yourself and find yourself being negative, then
it's time to quit. If you are singing with companies that are really not
very good and that you're embarrassed to be associated with, but they are the
only ones that are hiring you (and you ARE auditioning), then make a
decision.

Then again, you may find at that point that you are happy teaching, even if
it feels like that is the furthest thing from your mind right now. OR you
might be happy doing section leader work or contemporary music or something
completely different from what your goals are right now. This is why it's
important to keep a flexible definition of "what does a having musical career
mean to me?"

good luck...

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com