Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Jan 25, 2001  4:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] New Girl

Mer,
Since you addressed your message "to the really smart people on the list"
I though I would try to give the impression that I was in that category!
Some voices take a much longer time than others to mature. I'm struck by
how many people have beautiful voices, and how few do anything with them.
It's the ones that plug at it that have the success (assuming luck,
connections etc.) The history of singing is full of anecdotes of famous
singers that judges said should give up. I'm sure that you know of famous
singers you don't like too! A music degree is a good thing to have, not
just in itself, but as an acceptable preparation for programmes that
require a first degree, such as law and sometimes medicine. If you're going
to deeply regret not doing it, do it. Most (of our) music graduates find
music-related work - far fewer become famous or reach the top of their
professions. Ultimately you have to love music though - there are many
easier ways to make much more money - and be willing to work through the
details required to attain professionalism in this exacting field. Some
singers find it wise to study for a while and then take time off before
pursuing graduate level or professional study; others find engagements
while still students; still others find that it's more fun as a hobby
(albeit an important one) than as the focus of their lives.

Maybe you've already decided what to do.
john
At 06:48 AM 1/25/01 -0800, you wrote:

>1. If I don't show that I am exceptional in College,
>what are my chances of success in a musical career?
>
>2. If I do, what are my chances?
>
>4. What are the signs that show I'm making enough
>progress to continue to pursue a career in singing?
>
>3. At what point should I give up?
>
>From what I've read, you are all very smart people,
>and probably have objective opinions on this sort of
>thing. Thanks a lot for your time. I can't wait to
>hear from you.
>
>Greatful, Mer
>

>=====
>"It's called Evil, kid."
>--trumpy, _Pod People_
>
>"Man standing on toilet is high on pot."
>--Ancient Chinese Proverb

>Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices.
>http://auctions.yahoo.com/

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada