Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Thu Jan 25, 2001  3:53 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] SLS- help!!!

--- Greypins@a... wrote: > dear slsers,

> for the past year, i have been using exercises
> i got from roger love's
> book 'your voice at its best'. using the octave
> and a half arpeggio
> exercise on 'gug', 'mum', 'bub' and various other
> syllables, coupled with the
> low larynx exercises, i have gone from vocalizing to
> just G or Ab above
> middle C to vocalizing to F above tenor high C.
> there is no break and
> there is a gradual change in timbre as i go from one
> end of my range to the
> other.
>
> the problem is, i'm having a hard time putting
> this new found range to
> any use in singing. i have had some success with
> 'ev'ry valley' from the
> 'messiah', and it is easier doing it on 'mum' than
> the words but, that's
> about as far as i've gotten with it. when ever i
> try to use that range for
> something slow like 'open arms' by journey or 'all
> by myself' by eric carmen,
> that range seems to break down into falsetto or,
> what i think is falsetto.
> (i should add, i mostly have been considered a low
> baritone.)
>
> i have experimented with the 'squeaky door'
> thing some. i would sing
> in falsetto and add the squeaky door thing to it and
> that would connect to my
> regular voice however, it still feels like falsetto
> and sounds like something
> that will never go any further. the squeaky door
> thing seems somewhat
> similar in sound to what i'm gettting in my
> vocalizing but it doesn't feel
> the same, it feels more like what i would call
> falsetto.
>
> i'd appreciate any thoughts from anyone on this.
>
> thanks much,
> mike
Hiya Mike,

Just a quick note, as I'm in the library as I'm
internetless at home!! So, I'm on a meter!!

All you're doing sounds great, but what I think should
be remembered, what you achieve in exercises is simply
a method for releasing certain muscles and the
tensions that can be created.

When you're singing an aria or song etc, you've then
got to go one stage further and think more about how
the various vowels resonate at different pitches. For
instance: a as in father if sung up a scale from say G
to G will splat without modification. So you have to
modify it slightly with an O or uh sound. Blast, more
later as I've run out of time and money!!

Take care,

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!!