Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Wed Jan 24, 2001  2:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Reply to 'registers'

In a message dated 1/23/01 10:15:51 AM Central Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

> taylor,
>
> to cause hypertrophy in a muscle usually requires working that muscle
> fatigue in a very short time period regulary (this notion is agreed upon by
> most of the current literature on exercise physiology. and, i might add,
> most of the authors of this material are still alive). it is highly
> unlikey
> that any hypertrophy could ever take place in the muscles of the larynx nor
> would we want that to happen. (breathing would become increasingly
> difficult if one did manage such a feat.)

Sorry, but it is possible to increase bulk in the intrinsic muscles of the
larynx.

In voice therapy, voice building is a major component of rehabilitating
conditions of hypofunction and bowing. In these instances you would have a
client read aloud at a fairly high decibel level (loud oration) until they do
fatigue (10-15 minutes). This will produce the conditions you mention above
... and no it does not lead to suffocation, the folds will still abduct to
allow air in and will close better in return. If I'm not mistaken this is
also part of stemple's voice building regimen.

So, you're partly right in that fatigue needs to be induced but wrong about
the respiratory aspects.

Randy Buescher

taylor23f@h...
  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size