Vocalist.org archive

From:  snide76258@a...
snide76258@a...
Date:  Wed Jan 24, 2001  4:31 am
Subject:  Re: the best piano vocal scores

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, Gina <vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, Gina < > Who makes the best, most reliable piano vocal scores? I have often
> found errors in the Schirmer.

Ricordi is usually better for Italian opera, but they do have errors
as well. Sometimes the Schirmer is reprinted from the Ricodi, though,
so you might as well save your money! (I think this is the case with
Don Carlo.)

> Also: Is there any difference between the 5 act Don Carlo and the
4 act
> Don Carlo besides the first act being cut?

I don't remember all of the differences, but Verdi incorporated some
of the Act I music from the 5 act version into the first act of the 4
act version. Most notably the tenor aria "Io la Vidi" (in Italian.)

As has already been mentioned, the original language was French,
which explains why it is in the 5-act French Grand Opera style. The
Italian version dates from Verdi's lifetime. I seem to recall from my
classes with Nicola Rossi-Lemeni at Indiana that there are some
changes Italian singers make when singing Don Carlo.

BTW, it is interesting to compare the two versions. For example,
Phillips aria (one of the greatest bass arias in the literature)
begins "Elle ne m'aime pas" (She doesn't love me) in the original
French. In Italian it is "Ella giammai m'amo" (She never loved me.) A
subtle, but important difference, don't you think?

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

-Jeff Snider

emusic.com