Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Wed Jan 24, 2001  4:05 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Studying Vocal Performance In College

snide76258@a... wrote:

> I had an interesting discussion with a colleage in English some years
> ago in which I told him of our dilemma in voice regarding talent vs.
> effort. He said that there was the same problem in English: one
> student might work all semester on a paper and just didn't write very
> well, while another student might stay up all night the night before
> the paper was due and turn out a good paper.

Yes, and different people do their best work under different circumstances. My
husband
was a last-minute kind of guy in school, and seemed to thrive on the challenge
and
excitement that a looming deadline brought (and got good grades). Myself, I
don't care
for that type of pressure and I'd rather plan sufficient time to complete an
assignment
with comfort.

I remember some music students in school who did nothing but practice, hour
after hour,
day-in and day-out, and I disliked their playing, and others who practiced
fewer hours,
but practiced smarter and were more musical, and their results were better.
The book
"Soprano on her Head" has nice discussion about practice techniques and why the
longest
time in practice does not necessarily the most success bring.

Myself, I'd rather work smarter and shorter rather than wrong and long.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

emusic.com