Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 23, 2001  12:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: forward singing, imagination, registers

In a message dated 01/22/2001 4:04:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
taylor23f@h... writes:
taylor23f@h... writes:

> The fact remains however, that the registers of the voice
> have been used for centuries as a building block for voice training.
> Whether you agree or disagree with this statement is a matter of
> opinion. But, if you open any pedagogy book by the italian masters
> like, Garcia(who invented it's definition) or Mancini, they speak of
> registers on every page. If they believed in the importance of
> registers, why don't we.
I agree with this statement.
As teachers we need to separate result from process. The RESULT of proper
registrating is that the sound will appear to be seamless. However, there are
definitely different registers that occur within each persons voice, and this
is due to known physiological reasons. At different pitches, the vocal folds
et al, behave in different ways in order to make the required pitches, that
is the PROCESS . Our job as teachers, is to give the students exercises, or a
process, that affect as smooth a transition as possible between these
different behaviors, or postures.
Mary Beth Felker

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
8651 Aesthetics vs. Function/Result vs. Process debate taylor23f@h...   Tue  1/23/2001   4 KB