Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Mon Jan 22, 2001  10:30 pm
Subject:  Re: forward singing, imagination, registers

At 03:27 PM 1/22/01 +0000, Gina <classicalsinger@e...> wrote:
>The natural changes will take place if you stay out of the way.
>It's like automatic transmission on a car, not a stick shift!

Ah, but voices come in all makes and models, to continue the
analogy. Some voices are fortunate enough to not need a lot of specific
attention to registers--for them, I agree with you, less micro-management
is better -- as you said, set them up properly and let them fly. However,
there are some singers who need more help in this area and who need to
think about vowel adjustments, etc. Of course, the end result I think
we're all after is to make the voice sound seamless (unless for a special
effect) to the listener, however we achieve that.

Leslie

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; contralto
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Music
Southeast Missouri State Univ.